The 2021 recreational red snapper season for federally permitted fishing charter vessels closed on August 3rd at 12.01 am and is to reopen for another 22 days on October 15th. —
With the 2021 63-day red snapper season over, the announcement has been made to reopen in the federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf).
NOAA announced on September 30th the 'Reopening of the 2021 Federal Gulf of Mexico Red Snapper Recreational For-Hire Season'
• The 2021 Gulf red snapper fishing season in federal waters for vessels with federal for-hire reef fish permits was 63 days from June 1, 2021, to August 3, 2021.
• Based on updated landings data, NOAA Fisheries determined that the red snapper recreational for-hire sector’s annual catch target wasn't reached and therefore reopened the season to provide Gulf for-hire fishermen the opportunity to catch the remaining allocation.
• The Gulf federal red snapper for-hire season will reopen at 12:01 am, local time, on October 15, 2021, and will close at 12:01 am, local time, on November 6, 2021.
Some of the determining factors were:
• Estimates that Gulf recreational for-hire fishermen have caught 2,177,887 pounds of the 2,848,000-pound red snapper annual catch target. The estimated remaining quota that can be harvested is 670,113 pounds.
• The estimated number of days for the federal for-hire component to harvest the remaining red snapper allocation was projected using recent catch rates and the average weight of harvested fish.
• Recent daily catch rates (30,292 pounds whole weight per day) were used to determine the length of the reopened season.
• Based on an estimated catch rate, the season is expected to last 22 days.
State-permitted fishing charter vessels can only operate in waters in the Gulf from the shoreline to 9 nautical miles offshore. Federal waters, where the permits apply, are beyond 9 miles, with increased distance and depth allowing for higher quality fish caught.
Federal guiding permits in the Gulf of Mexico can be hard to obtain due to the boundaries, and the total number of guides is limited as new permits have not been issued since 2003. So, it can be hard to find a Captain who can take you out to federal waters because of these limits on permits.
Federally licensed, 3rd generation fishing charter operator, Captain Mark Kelley of Panama City Beach, Florida, states that the additional '2021 Fall Red Snapper Season' will be a welcome opportunity. Locals and visitors to the area, who may have missed the earlier red snapper season, now can get out on the Gulf and catch one or two of these prized delicacies.
As Capt. Kelley's boats are federally permitted, the 2021 Kelley Girl Charter's additional Fall red snapper season will begin on October 15th. He is excited because red snapper season is the most popular of the year stating, "Red snapper is one of the most prized species in the fishing industry, we are always booked well in advance during the red snapper season."
"The extra fall season reopening gives tourists and locals alike the chance to catch a prized red snapper, considered one of the best on the menu in restaurants worldwide. The main advantage of a fishing charter trip on a federally permitted boat being the boat can take anglers much further out and into deeper waters, producing larger fish and higher quality catches."
Captain Kelley, along with Capt. August Redding at Kelley Girl Charters will take daily fishing charter trips each of the allotted 22 days. Of course, anglers can catch other fish species, but red snapper is what they will be specifically targeting. Bag limits are two fish each - over 16 inches in length.
Kelley Girl Fishing Charter trips will fill up very quickly because of the limited reopening season. They have two fishing charter vessels that can accommodate up to 20 passengers, the Lady Kelley is a 55 footer, and the Kelley Girl is a 52 footer. All-day trips only to target the red snapper are available this time of year.
Reservations will fill up fast during this bonus Fall Red Snapper Season. Capt. Kelley advises booking as soon as possible to ensure preferred dates are available. Contact details are below.
Name: Capt. Mark Kelley
Email: Send Email
Organization: Kelley Girl Charters
Address: 5550 North Lagoon Dr, Slip 00E Panama City, FL 32408
Phone: (850) 866-5694
Release ID: 89048112