Advice from the Executive Recruiter to the NFL, MLB, Patagonia and Under Armour: Top Ways to Identify, Attract and Retain Talent; Jason Hanold of Hanold Associates.
Jason Hanold is the CEO of Hanold Associates, an executive search firm specializing in HR & Diversity recruiting. He serves clients including Patagonia, NFL, Gucci, MLB, Nike, Google, eBay, MGM, Under Armour, Apollo, Blackstone, Electronic Arts, Fiat-Chrysler, Ford, Heinz, and Carnival. Hanold held many Global Recruiting roles with Russell Reynolds Associates, Whirlpool, McKinsey & Company, and Deloitte. Hanold serves on Robert F. Kennedy Human Right Leadership Council, and US Olympic Committee Team USA Athlete Mentor.
Top ways to Identify Talent:
1. Solid Progression: Have they worked at companies of different sizes during growth, transformation, acquisitions, that align with your organization.
2. Good People: Plenty of talented leaders in the world, so an easy screening is to remove those who others won’t follow, no matter how much raw talent they bring into an organization.
3. Vulnerability: The best leaders have the capacity and the willingness to be vulnerable. They admit where they’re not strong, admit when they need help.
4. Curious and Adaptable: Assess for potential and capacity. One who is curious is learning. One who is adaptable shifts with the business. Both characteristics, hired in abundance, will wire an organization for change.
5. Honor Commitments: Test for whether people honor their commitments as this can make or break the tenure of a new hire.
Top ways to Attract Talent:
· Cultivate trusted Relationships. Not all of my clients have the same level of brand recognition and when that is the case, it’s relationships with prospects that allows me to facilitate discussions.
· Be an Authentic Advisor. Never “sell” an opportunity or a candidate. We’re advisors serving both candidate’s and client’s interest. If I hear elements of misalignment in culture, I’ll tell an interested candidate to walk away. If it’s not good for either interests, it’s the smarter path.
· Be Transparent, Interesting and Compelling. Paint a clear picture of the opportunity; challenges and opportunities impact. Successful executives want to make an impact to any organization. The problem-solvers lean in more, and their interest is heightened.
Top Ways to Retain Talent:
1. Vulnerability Through Transparency. Be open about weaknesses and where you need help.
2. Authenticity. Genuinely care for the well-being of employees and families.
3. Follow Through. Do what you say you will; creates a culture of trust. If your organization feels like a trusted family, they are unlikely to leave.
Most Important Trait:
Curiosity in all forms. Curiosity inspires education, employable skills, understanding of human kindness, philanthropy, giving, political realities, and helps resolve conflict. Lack of curiosity is the foundation for most of the ills of our nations.
Favorite Life Lesson Quote: “Bloom where you are planted.”
Circumstances, not excuses, are fuel for finding your sense of purpose and happiness. My circumstances were never ideal and yet always sufficient. My path was mine to blaze, without guidance and the freedom of low expectations.
Release ID: 88948198